View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
InexplicableVic

Default Re: Regular spell with touch versus an opponent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
the way I run instantly-cast-touch-regular-spells in regular GURPS, like the case of touch attack dehydrate is as a regular casting and then, instantly, a DX (or brawling or karate) skill roll to touch the target.

The touching is part of the spell for me. It is not an attack to hurt the target, so it is easier and can be faster than a regular punch or staff attack, it is just a quick touch or the target.

If the DX roll fail the spell is cast as if at a distance with a range of 1 (I use that as a minimum).
I can check, but this is basically the way I think we have done cast by touch spells in Peter Dell'Orto's Felltower game. To be more specific, it is always a -1 for range casting a spell on an enemy or buddy who is not in the same hex as you unless you are touching the adjacent subject with a wand or staff. See Spells, p. 12: "Regular spells work best if you can touch or see the subject (if you are the subject, you’re casting by touch!)."

I think that by that logic, if it is a one second spell and all regular spells can be cast by touch, that touch has got to be part of the spell's action...we have never made it in two separate actions, as best I can recall. Of course, running Ulf Sigurdson in that game, he often will touch a buddy of his during combat to cast a healing spell or Faith Healing ("Good God, let him have it!"). But that's on a buddy.

I can't recall what spell specifically came up recently, but it was a one second spell (either because it was Skill-20 or it was ordinarily a one second spell) that either Gerry (our necromancer) or Varmus the Hanged (a wizard ally who is legally not required to tell you about how he got his name) cast that required a touch, and it was done in the same exact turn.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote