View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #23
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: [HT] Grenades fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
But if this is not the standard, I'd like to hear how other GMs kept PCs from just walking away from grenades (or deal with anyone they suspected were cooking one off).
In general, some combination of cooking off before initiating an ambush, the occasional use of Situational Awareness rules from Tactical Shooting (Grenades are, generously, SM -6, which can make them difficult to notice even if they qualify for "in plain sight," which I would generally only grant if they see the person throwing it or the area it's thrown into is particularly clear), requiring DX rolls to pick up a grenade that's still moving (Such as on the first turn after it was thrown) or in terrain that makes it awkward (Grenade landing in light brush), and the unknown fuse length of the grenade (Do you risk taking the 2-3 seconds to grab and throw it?). For poorly trained or inexperienced fighters I'd probably have seeing a grenade thrown near them trigger the Cool Under Fire rules.

And to top that off, there are also the occasions where getting the enemy to move (And abandon their cover) is the objective. If they stay put, they get blown up. If they do move, you've flushed them out of cover and can cut them down in the open, especially if you've got a buddy waiting for some juicy opportunity fire or if it forces them to expose themselves to suppression fire.

I generally don't see a lot of grenade use in my games, since we've had fairly few modern/future combat campaigns and the small-scale firefights we've had are rarely the kinds of situations for frequent grenade use, but they're still quite useful if used correctly.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote