View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy on the cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah but 1st edition AC 10 in GURPS is just an unmodified average person's dodge of 8, so to get a 50% think of one hit after 6 Attack Maneuvers, you'd need a pretty low skill I think. I suck at probability so I'm not sure how low that actually is.
Dodge 8 = 25% chance of dodging = 75% chance of getting hit.

The math on actually HITTING the victim, instead of successfully performing your skill, is

Chance of successfully performing your skill * chance of the victims defense failing

So we're looking for X, where
X * .75 = .5
X * .75 / .75 = .5 / .75 ( Divide both sides by .75 to isolate the x on the left hand side)
X = .5 / .75
X = .66666 repeating which is higher than skill 11 and lower than skill 12.

Go with 11, because I didn't include chance of critically hitting and completely bypassing the victims defense.

That said, I'm not sure AC 10 = Dodge 8. With All Out Defense, Defensive Attacks, and the like as standard combat options, that may be a bit simplistic.

And saying that it's 6 attacks and only one connects is, I agree, a very bad model. The higher rate of attacks for high level characters maps much closer to Rapid Strikes in GURPS than it does to assuming 6 seconds of D&D time is anything like 6 seconds of GURPS time.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote