View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
SimonAce

Default Re: How "Serious" are Disadvantages?

I don't much like the disadvantage rules myself. To be honest they are kind of crufty in some ways.

Because of that I often just give the points instead and let people take play what they like which was a standard option in the 3rd Edition Compendiums IIRC

Disadvantages are reasonable and quite playable if you manage them in game a bit.

Generally limiting extreme reactions is the best way, a PI with Lecherousness and Quirk Redheads! doesn't necessarily have to run across the street or mess with mobsters girl but he certainly can be distracted for a few second or suffer hefty penalties to social manipulation (say detect lies) when a Redheaded Femme Fatal come into this office

The general rule being "if you can't roleplay it, don't take it." and the unofficial one is "don't take ones that don't fit the game or annoy other player's"

Cinematic examples abound and include some strong reaction.

Indiana Jones and his Phobia "Snakes" , the modern forms of Batman with Cannot Kill Pacifism

These are on all the time but rarely require self control rolls occasionally. For that matter Dr. Maura Isles from the TV Police Procedural Rizzoli and isles has Truthfulness and literally undergoes phobia roles if she tries to lie, Its played for laughs but it works.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote