View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #67
hal

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I think that apprenticeship would use the On-The-Job Training rules (pp. B292-293).

The list of spells in that book was never intended to be used in one setting. Looking at GURPS Classic Magic, I see that GURPS 4e made more mechanical fixes than I remembered, but the spell list was "every spell anyone has ever proposed for GURPS" not "spells suitable for a particular kind of setting."
I can see the merits of both arguments, which is why I think that what will be a good idea is to let people bring up any spell they want from the spell lists per se - but then also explain why such a spell either truly BREAKS the TL 3 scheme of things, or can potentially break a true TL 3 scheme if and only if sufficient numbers of mageborn are present within an organized society.

If a given spell is a Magery 3 spell and would REALLY break society at a TL 3 organization level (as explained in GURPS LOW tech for 4e, then we can identify said spells as provisionally genre breaking. In addition, those GM's who permit player character mages to update their magery levels after character creation will know they'd better be prepared to explain why there aren't more "upgraded mageborn" in their campaign worlds.

One thing I liked about GURPS 3e that is missing in 4e was something that made a lot of sense to me at the time, and still does despite the philosophy behind GURPS 4e...

To wit: When a player's character starts game play as a full grown adult, any increases in attributes will come MUCH harder. It is harder for an adult to increase their "IQ", or their "ST" (although it still can be done via weight lifting, steroid use, etc). 3e's rule was that it costs DOUBLE to improve any attribute after start of play on the presumption that your adult attributes represent your body fully grown and/or mature.

In any event - as this is titled "world building" - we're not just focused on the mechanical aspects per se, but also on the world building repercussions as well.

See my next post on some potential issues for NPC "growth" as they grow older (and it is't just the issue of aging per se).
hal is offline   Reply With Quote