View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 01:48 AM   #4
Plane

Default Re: Alternate Form versus Growth [Powers/Supers]

One major benefit of B58 is the transition where you automatically destroy any wall/ceiling with DR less than your maximum thrust damage. HP or injury tolerance apparently don't even matter. That's actually super amazing, I can't even think how to design an innate attack like that.

Sure it takes "one second per point of DR" which presumably could slow down the "one second per SM" rate, but that's still VERY powerful.

Alternate Form (high SM giant) presumably lacks this benefit, so you're going to have some problems changing into a giant from a tiny room, maybe with the walls crushing you instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Growth is faster and unless you take limitations you can have intervening stages.
It's possible to take Reduced Time for Shapeshifting to cut that down. I'm not entirely sure how that would work with Growth though.

Powers also suggested with it and Shrinking that talent could add to SM changed per second, which would make it further competetive (take Reliable if lacking Talent)

I don't know of a 'no intervening stages' limit for Growth being defined distinctly, rather it's folded into the 0% "Maximum Size" where in exchange for that limit you get the "1 second to transform regardless" enhancement".

Given that Alternate Form (SM+?) is fixed to max size too, that's probably the form of Growth worth comparing to.

Basically how much does it cost us to have a 1-second Alternate Form.

10>5>3>2>1>0 is 5 steps, a +100% reduced Time enhancement atop the base cost of 15 raising it to 30 points, the same value of Growth 3.

Ergo: Alternate Form is a better option for instantly changing to SM4+....

Except you lack the ability to annihilate walls/ceilings which I think is super useful so long as you buy enough Striking ST to get max thrust dmg exceeding most DRs. Ignoring injury tolerance and high HP and regeneration and hardened DR is really really cool.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote