View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #6
juris

Default Re: Oversized Vehicle Top Speeds

For electric cars if an engine can just pull the car - TS 90mph
For gas - 60mph

HD Transmissions really mess this up - a gas engine can drop to a TS of 30, an electric to 60!

And yes this is a legal design with a TS of 172.5mph - bus racing!!!:

Allegory -- Streamlined Minibus, Standard chassis, Super power plant, 2 ISCs, Fire Extinguisher, 10 Standard tires, Driver w/BA and Safety Seat and 10-pt CA, Gunner w/HRSWC and BA and Safety Seat and 10-pt CA, Variable-Fire Rocket Pod in Turret w/extra magazine and magazine switch and 30 shots Normal and 30 shots Armor-Piercing, Heavy-Duty Shocks, Heavy-Duty Brakes, Antilock Brakes, Overdrive, Roll Cage, Spoiler, Airdam, Bumper Spikes (Front), Sloped Plastic Armor: F25, L20, R20, B20, T22, U10, 6 10-pt Wheelguards, Gear Allocation: [7 lbs.], Acceleration 2.5, Top Speed 172.5 +20 w/Overdrive, HC 1 (2 @60mph), 11993 lbs., $59804

Seriously through nobody drives over 60 in an oversized vehicle that's suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr Vimes View Post
Hello all, returning to the forums after several years away. Currently home brewing some Car Wars into a more detailed roleplaying system, for some Mad Max style play. However using the design rules as written as they work.

However I don't think I ever noticed before how the top speed calculations work. If I am doing it correctly an Oversized vehicle, if it has an engine that can just pull its max load, will always have a top speed of 100mph and if running empty the speeds can be well in excess of that. It seems wrong when most cars work out far less.

I'm not sue whether to limit the top speed some other way or just adjust the formula. Anyone got any good workarounds?
juris is offline   Reply With Quote