View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #25
Sindri

Default Re: Wheellocks and Flintlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
yes but they are not visible to the observer as much as decoration so less useful for displaying status.
That's what brands are for.

Quote:
Also the scope is not that great in perfecting the mechanism certainly not as a comparison to other mechanisms.
I think there's a lot more room to impress with the wheellock than the flintlock.

Quote:
Decoration however is only limited by the artistry of the craftsmen and the observers appreciation of it.
It's also a constant. You'll get all the exterior decoration no matter what and thus it's functionally irrelevant.

Quote:
Decoration is not really additive to mechanism, there really isn't really a link between the two at all (apart from where the mechanisms gets in the way of decoration). That why the strict CF multiplier model doesn't work for decoration.
I think you're confused about the meaning of the word "additive". It's, obviously, not multiplicative. There not being a link is precisely what makes something additive. You have a thing and then you add on another cost to it. The entire CF thing is something you've dragged into here. It has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Quote:
The point being craftsmanship of mechanism and craftsmanship of decoration are two different things (often involving two different craftsmen for a start), not only are they applied differently, but they would be judged differently according to different criteria as well.
The entire point is that they're different things. You already have the exterior decoration. An intricate mechanism that rewards the craftsmanship going in to it is something that lets you throw on more stuff.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote