View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Curmudgeon

Default Re: [LT] What if a weapon is in several categories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders
Low-Tech gives detailed rules for what categories of weapons cost when made Fine or Very Fine. Categories include thrown weapons, missile weapons, projectiles melee weapons in general, swords and others. Some weapons fall in more than one category - the Khopesh can be used with the Broadsword or Axe skill, the Spear can be a melee weapon, a thrown weapon or a missile, etc. What do I do when a weapon falls into more than category - what Cost Factor should I use? I suggest using the cheapest one, but I would like to know what the hive-mind (and the author) thinks.
I'd think the most expensive as a minimum. As johndallman indicated, assuming the greatest cost factor represents the most difficult aspect to get correct, it should be the cost factor to go with. On the other hand, I wouldn't have a problem with an argument that said "add all the cost factors that apply together to get the final cost factor", on the grounds that it's more difficult to make something with multiple functions do all of them well. It's something along the line of, "Well, yes, it is a fine stabbing spear but now the balance is all wrong for throwing it."
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote