Thread: Stellar Mapping
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Keysh

Default Re: Stellar Mapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
I found some other archives where you can search stellar datasets (other than Vizier). Here is one from the Gaia project. And here is one from NASA.

So I'll get this eventually, but for now I'm still struggling. ... The Hipparcos search doesn't let you limit the search by parallax, just RA and DEC, so that's a bother since otherwise it has everything I want. ...
For future reference (e.g., other searches using the Vizier interface), you can limit the search by parallax, or any other quantity in the database. In the main body of the search page, there's a long list of columns in the database (for Hipparcos, this includes "recno", "HIP", "Comp", "Classes", etc.). Each row has a tickbox for "Show", a radio button for "Sort", the "Name" of the specific database column, and then a text box ("Constraint"), where you can enter a constraint for your search. Whether or not the data in a particular column shows up in the results depends on whether the "Show" box has been ticked.

So if you want only stars between 5 and 6 parsecs, you could enter "5..6" in the "Dist" row (20th row, I think). To get all stars with distances <= 10 pc, you'd enter "<= 10" in the box. At the top of the list of columns, there's a link "Constraints (?)" which will give you a pop-up window explaining the formatting of how to specify constraints.
Keysh is offline   Reply With Quote