View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #4
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psi] [Path/Book Magic] Path/Book Psi Powers

Something that I should have said earlier in regard to Effect Shaping: the time it takes to perform the ritual. In general, I suggest that you have a base time, which is how long it takes usually takes to perform any given ritual with the penalty that you worked out (character point cost of the advantage, divided by ten and rounding down), and increasing or decreasing that amount of time changes the penalty. How long or short the base time for all rituals is, and how great the increments are, depends on the sort of game you want to do.

For example, if the base time for all rituals is fifteen minutes, and the penalty changes in five-minute increments (meaning that a ritual that is skill-5 for a 15 minute ritual will be skill-4 for a 20-minute ritual, and skill-6 for a 10-minute ritual), ritual psi will be significantly easier (skillwise) than if the default is twenty minutes, and the penalty changes as the time doubles or halves (so, that same ritual would take 20 minutes at skill-5, 10 minutes again at skill-6, and 40 minutes at skill-4). Since I might not be explaining this well, here are some base times and increment scales:

Base time: 15 minutes
5 minutes: -2
10 minutes: -1
15 minutes: 0
20 minutes: +1
25 minutes: +2
(+1 to effective skill for every further five minutes)

Base time: 30 minutes
15 minutes: -1
30 minutes: 0
45 minutes: +1
60 minutes: +2
(+1 to effective skill for every further fifteen minutes)

Base time: 20 minutes
5 minutes: -2
10 minutes: -1
20 minutes: 0
40 minutes: +1
80 minutes: +2
(+1 to effective skill for every further doubling)

Base time: 10 minutes
10 minutes: 0
20 minutes: +1
30 minutes: +2
(+1 to effective skill for every further ten minutes)

As I have not play-tested these, I cannot say while combination of base time and time increments is ideal, but I suggest that it mostly matters what sort of game you want to run.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote