View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 02:42 AM   #8
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Gameplay balance issues?; Talents in place of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In my games, I have characters reduce their skill penalties by one per every 4 CP invested in the relevant skill and its associated techniques (or every 12 CP in the relevant Wildcard skill), halved, rounded down, in the case of defensive penalties. For example, a DX 10 character with Karate (H) DX+10 [44]-20 reduces skill penalties by 11 and defensive penalties by 5, meaning that they can Deceptive DWA (Punch) two people in the skull with an effective skill of 16 and parry three times per turn without any penalty.
My problem with that is I feel a single skill bought up really high is already good enough (your benefits make Johnny One Skill far, FAR better). If a character wants Stealth 25 and it's within the parameters of the campaign, I have no issue with it and it will be good enough for them. And on the flipside, DX 18 or high levels of Omnitalent work great and make fantastic jack of all trades. My main issue is the middle with character concepts that aren't as broad as an attribute but don't fit in well with Wildcard or Talent but still want plenty of skills without becoming a jack of all trades. What this would basically do is 'players make talents to what skills they have' with an allowance for varied skill levels.

Aside from that, I do really like Wildcard skills with all the bells and whistles. If I had a clue on how to actually make them well (I'm still not completely confident with Talents and those are entirely quantifiable) then I could do something similar with them.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote