View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Icelander

Default Re: Roleplaying flavour and guide to Iraq in 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Most Iraqi police have trained at least somewhat with US personell assisted by a terp. On the other hand IPs are kind of legendary for being mostly terrible.
The premise does kind of presuppose that no one has any particular difficulty believing that the local Police Chief or someone high up in his hierarchy is complicit in some 100+ murders, as part of a conspiracy to cover up at least $200 million worth of misappropriated funds from a wide variety of public programs.

On the other hand, a senior figure within the Ministry of Defence is privy to the PCs' mission and gets them access to the IPS computers by confirming their cover story. I need to find a plausible figure or create one, I suppose.

And if the PCs find any evidence, they'll call in the Federal Police. I imagine they can get a Federal commando force with a cool name, like Delta, Scorpion or Cobra, to be kept in readiness if the local police should turn out to be involved in something exceptionally nefarious.

While the evidence does point to a previously unknown group of militants being financed from misappropriated funds and killing to cover it up, there are troubling and unexplained complications.

Like the fact that most of the financial shenanigans appear to be inexpert work that hardly conceals blatant criminality, but once the money is funneled through a shell company or two, it always ends up disappearing into the Dubai-registered Crade of Civilisation LLC, apparently a private archeological company operating a dig in Dhi Qar.

And none of the money appears to make its way to anything resembling a militant group from there. Instead, it's spent on actual archeological equipment and exorbitant salaries to genuine experts in Mesopotamian archeology and culture, as well as hiring a very professional PSC to provide security for the dig.