View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Icelander

Default Re: Roleplaying flavour and guide to Iraq in 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I did interact a little with Iraqi police and soldiers who mostly had tourist level English at least.
Is 'tourist-level' Broken or Accented in game terms?

I've been a tourist in some countries where I wouldn't even qualify for Broken*, but on the other hand, most tourists I meet seem to speak Accented or better English, which is after all the lingua franca of our times. Of course, some of them are American.

*Poland, Romania and the Czech Republic are good examples of places where I would have been completely lost if it weren't for locals who spoke English or German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
There was an operation that I didn't get to go on (a victim of my own expertise; I was training forward observers) where the Marines lived in a village. Apparently the village store took dollars. The local merchants on the FOB obviously spoke English and took dollars (as well as the AAFX "pogs" that they used instead of coins).
Most likely vendors accepting dollars is fairly widespread, but getting change might be harder and you have to accept whatever exchange rate the local decides makes it worth his while.