View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #34
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Cinematic Rocket Delta-V Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Yeah, you've said that in the past.

You don't have to travel through much space with a jump-drive, and since every single jump-gate is a travel bottleneck, easily controlled, then space piracy can never really be a thing.
Well if we're going to talk about things I've said before that leads to the system I used in The Gloria Monday series of games. The Gloria Monday was the PC ship in the first one and a different group flew around space in the Tuesday Weld. The Wednesday Addams waits in the wings.

In those games "jumplines" existed between stars but you could use the line anywhwere over a distance of an AU or more. The two linked stars could be within 3.3 parsecs x their combined masses in "Sols".

Distances between habitable worlds were realistic and no known worlds had direct connections. A typical route required 3-5 jumps and the distances involved with the middle stars in the route ran to .3 AU or so. Only the routes between the most populous and powerful planets would be completely patrolled. Usually "in-between" star systems were effectively wilderness.

I also set the campaign in a frontier sector with lightly settled planets that had as few as 50,000 people and only saw a ship every 3 or 4 weeks.

The PC ships were built with Ve2 and only cost about a million (judicious use of superscince and keeping the actual size low) or so new and they weren't new. :)