View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #27
Icelander

Default Re: Scientific Specializations for Exploring Unknown Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Um, which Loyola University? There are five, according to wikipedia, and three of them were known by that name in 1995 (a fourth was called 'Loyola College in Maryland' until 2009).
Yes, sorry, bad habit when I'm making personal notes (from which this list is a copy). I tend to leave out stuff that's obvious to me from context (knowing that Kessler has interests in New Orleans, but very little up North or on the West Coast, I didn't consider any other Loyola Universities relevant).

It's the Jesuit institution in New Orleans, often known as Loyola of the South; and in 1996 will be formally named Loyola University New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
That's going to be very much of interest to various governments, once they know for sure that no-one on their end was painting the island out (which is the normal explanation when a civilian finds a place that they can see, but that doesn't appear on satellite). It's something I've considered for some of my own stuff.
It is something that would absolutely shatter the worldview of anyone who can confirm it, not to mention alter the foundations of any government's policy if proven.

However, the reason it didn't really have as much effect as it might have is that only people sailing close to it or flying low over the island actually saw it, which means that any reports were dismissed is incorrect when satellites, sensors, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft found nothing. And it's not like many people were sailing or flying on that specific out of the way place, especially with four tropical storms active in the Caribbean at the end of August and beginning of September in 1995.

The island was apparently only present for less than a week, enough time for the expedition to be mounted, despite numerous tropical storm and hurricane warnings in a very active hurricane season in the Atlantic.

The expedition was caught in Hurricane Luis and by the time it subsided enough to send a rescue ship, no trace of the island, the boat or the Wilson Global Explorer amphibious plane could be found.