View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #74
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Underground Fights in a Tourist Resort in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Just look up Legends of the Carib.
Thanks. I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'm aware a few Carib remain, but cultural syncretization works both ways. The Carib culture that currently exists has very little to do with the beliefs held by the indigenous people of the Caribbean at the time Columbus arrived.

That said, if a suitable spirit or old god can be found in the current versions of Carib myths and folklore, that would make an excellent choice. :)
Indeed.

And then, of course, in addition to indigenous peoples and West African slaves, the Caribbean was also settled by many waves of European immigrants, free, slave or indentures. Influence from Hispanic, French and Dutch folklore probably exists in Caribbean mythology, not to mention English, Scots and Irish folklore.

Presumably, buccaneers, field hands and planters alike all brought their native legends with them to their new homes, where they eventually mixed with the beliefs of the imported slaves and the few surviving Arawak and Carib peoples.

As far as I know, Spaniard and English sailors both told tales of mermaids in the Caribbean, most likely based on manatees.

I wonder if there were/are local tales of fey, Fair Folk or other ultraterrestials?