View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #28
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Underground Fights in a Tourist Resort in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The best way to get around fighter complaints is to provide them with basic medical services and an injury bonus. If you agree to pay $1,000 for a lost finger to $100,000 for a lost life, you will have people willing to risk death (especially if they are from Cuba, Haiti, or even Jamaica). You are probably making enough on the side from your cut of the drugs and prostitutes to justify the expense.
Well, the money itself is no problem, but in general, the weakpoint of supposed secret conspiracies usually lies in the difficulty of laundering large sums of money.

Paying the money legally creates an electronic trail to whoever is ultimately responsible, which is less than desirable. Paying in cash is not only rather inconvenient from a practical standpoint, but also likely to lead to problems for surviving fighters. I imagine quite a lot of hospitals would raise eyebrows at people trying to pay for extensive reconstructive surgery in cash and numerous cases of it would probably be relatively easy to link.

I realize that there is no way to keep such an operation effectively secret forever, but I'm not sure that paying out that much to injured fighters is any less likely to lead to ultimate discovery than simply having them disappear, especially if you can have someone of similar ethnicity, size and build use their passport and any credit cards to take a short trip that ensures the last sign of them is in another country.