View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Underground Fights in a Tourist Resort in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So you're playing with two elements that are all over the Caribbean, but usually don't happen in the same places: criminal behavior and resorts. The criminal behavior is usually concentrated in places tourists will never go.
Well, obviously no one wants street crime in the ritzy resort. Designer drugs, artisanal cocaine, high-end prostitution, but none of that low-rent retail sex, drugs and so forth. Strictly elegantly arranged personal service, all through the conscientous concierges.

I want a resort where cartel bosses, Russian oligarchs, British bankers and American tech billionaires might rub shoulders with each other, but where Kingston yardies or Dominican gang-bangers would never be admitted. Where even the security personnel wear expensive suits and only the cleaning staff and potential victims actually come from the local islands.

Quote:
Trinidad doesn't have much of a resort industry: the vast majority of that is on Tobago, which has a much different feel. If you want a lawless area in Trinidad, I'd recommend Laventille, just east of Port of Spain. That won't feel like a resort, though Port of Spain does get visited on cruises.
I'm definitely not thinking lawless area, more a private resort where the local police hesitate to make trouble without any actual evidence of truly serious crimes. Of course, agents of the managment will recruit sex workers, boxers and MMA fighters from any number of lawless urban areas within easy trafficking distance, but the resort itself should be somewhere ridiculously rich people can feel safe.

Quote:
If you want a private island, My mind goes to either the Bahamas or the Grenadines, and for what you want the Grenadines (part of St. Vincent and the Grenadines) is probably superior. I'd say that St. Vincent is more out of the way than most of the countries in the Caribbean, but they picked up an international airport in 2017, so that's changing. Before then you had to stop at other Caribbean islands first to get there, by boat or using a turboprop run by a local airline called LIAT that in my head stands for "Late In All Terminals". The Grenadines are pretty separate from st. Vincent,
I do very much want a private island, but it needs to be one with enough traffic and staff turnover so that no one is likely to notice a particularly rapid turnover of some personnel positions.

Ideally somewhere you can transport fighters to the island without going through unnecessary red tape and where not every resort worker necessarily pays taxes or appears on any paperwork.

Quote:
and I don't think the government is going to complain much if you rent an island and tell them your own private security will handle things, as long as you don't make the news. At which point they'll skip the police and call in the military .
Well, define what will make the news?

As long as no bodies are found at the resort, would rumours in the nearest urban areas of aspiring fighters trqvelling there for exhibitions and not returning home be problematic?

How many disappearances would it take?

Where in the Caribbean could you get a private resort with a reasonably free hand for your resort security, located near rich sources of fighters, girls and other staff, where it would take a long time indeed before rumours among people in poor neighbourhoods led to any effective response?