View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #57
Maz

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
This brings up another question: What are the rules for reaction time in Gurps? It would probably take at least one of those seconds for the person to observe the object, realise it's a grenade and going to explode, and then take evasive actions to protect themselves.

I think about this during combat often. A character falls and IMMEDIATELY, all of the other characters react like a machine, moving on to their next action or attack on another target? How long should that take for them to stop and observe the battlefield for their next attack?
That's another problem, not really to do with rules per se. But I agree, it's something I also consider. It because especially obvious in GURPS compared to other RPG systems thanks to the extremely short 1 sec turns.
In D&D for instance you can handwave it more easily as its ~6 sec turns.

Tactical Shooting has some rules for tactical awareness though. Such as not being able to dodge gunshots outside of a certain range, or require Per-checks.

I don't use them as such. but sometimes I require a Per-check at -2 (or worse) to notice something happening, to allow players to react to it immediately.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote