View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #51
Apollonian

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I can understand the feeling, but I wonder what this GM thinks the alternative should be. What RPG doesn't use some sort of turns?
The Burning Wheel family of games uses scripted combat. An Exchange is divided into three phases ("Volleys") and a character has between one and nine actions to evenly divide between those volleys; an average fighter has 3-4 actions. The actions are noted down and then resolved simultaneously, so there's an element of anticipating what your opponent will do in winning a combat.

For example, my fighter's up against a brawler known for his aggressive style and we're in a tavern brawl. I script my four actions as 1) Block, 2) Counterstrike, 3a) Push, 3b) Lock; I plan on parrying his first attack, parrying and punching back on his second attack, and then on the third volley shoving him off balance and putting him in a head lock or a pin.

You could probably adapt something like this to GURPS, but it would take an awful lot of work; both BW and GURPS have rather crunchy systems that proceed from different core principles.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote