View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
GoblynByte

Default Re: [Spaceships] Hull size of Falcon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Star Wars
That was true 15 years ago, but then Curtis Saxton, the physicist and Star Wars fundamentalist, got the rights to publish the cannonical books on vehicles in the prequels. So now there are all kinds of numbers with the Lucasarts imprimateur on them.
I don't disagree that they did a lot of work on the subject. And they are interesting numbers. But they are, in the end, fuzzy interpretations based on tenuous logic built on observations extrapolated from the artistic rendering of a distinctly non-scientific genre. In other words, people took an author's haphazard recreation of the whimsical science of Flash Gordon and attempted to apply real-world physics by making half-baked observations of on-screen performance and dialogue. The only thing evident from Lucas stamping such data with his approval is that he ultimately doesn't care about the science of it all. And why should he?

In any case, getting such numbers to match up in an RPG that (for the most part) works off a more literal extrapolation of reality is an effort in futility. Thus it is easier for me to take the only true observable data (physical size) and extrapolate my own conclusions on other aspects on my own. Since it is unlikely this will produce any contradictions from what we observe in the movies, I feel this is an acceptable route.
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote