View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #881
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I really like Capcom games, so the Vs series is never far from my mind and yes that is not canon Marvel. XD Otherwise, I would have leaned towards making Iron Fist one (with my limited knowledge of the character). A key (...I made a pun, didn't I?) is do Super countermeasures affect his chi based powers? I can't remember if Marvel has "reality stabilizers" or the like.
Not sure how it is in the mainstream Marvel U, but in the Reboot technological countermeasures exist for Super, Mutant, Psionic, and Mutant Psionic powers (essentially, power-dampening shackles), and Chemical, Biological, and Passive Biological powers get pharmacological countermeasures (better living through drugs). Mutant Biology (e.g. Angel's wings or Beast's foot manipulators) has no special countermeasures. (Magical, Divine, and Demonic channel external energies, and are subject to other countermeasures). I have to read up to see how Chi is composed; I didn't make note of it because I didn't expect to have more than a handful of peeps with Chi powers besides Iron Fist.

Quote:
Seems like every major comic universe has to have their own version of the Vault (no really, the way most are set-up they have to have their own version), and I think before I stopped reading Marvel comics regularly, I think they started having more than the Vault... so I could easily be thinking of a different setting. ^^'

Otherwise... I vaguely remember prison facilities where guys like Batroc and Zaran end up being influential because they lose nothing or next to nothing from their abilities, while supers (mutant or otherwise), various mystically empowered characters, etc. all do because every power modifier they can think of has been locked down. So guys like that basically rule the gen pop.
Well, guys like Batroc and Zaran don't have powers, just intense training. Not surprising they'd rule the prison yards over the common crook.

I think the current super-prisons in the Marvel U are part of Ryker's Island in NY and whatever is on the west coast; from what I read, they closed the Vault down in the early '00s (actually, I think they destroyed it, but please don't quote me on that).

Quote:
It was towards the very end of the time I was reading Wolverine's solo book, he ended up in jail. Interestingly, his healing factor was also shut down and the injections they gave him were to keep him from succumbing to heavy metal poisoning due to his own adamantium skeleton (or some similar medical complication). I think physical restraints kept his claws in check, but since this was over 10 years ago, exact details are sketchy. ^^'
Well, power dampers in the MU would negate his healing factor (he's had it suppressed many times in the past without having to deal with metal poisoning, though). Physical restraints for the claws would have to be adamantium themselves. Not cheap. Surprised the US didn't just deport him to Canada and let Department H handle him, what with Logan being a foreigner.

Quote:
My apologies; I shouldn't have raised the matter until I had more clear examples in my mind Also, just to be clear, "Super Saiyan" was just a reference point and not implying an actual character... though for all I know, there could be one like that in the MU. XD
I know, and I was using your terminology so we were on the same page.

Honestly, though, I can't think of any characters who channeled their chi to gain more power than the Immortal Weapons.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote