View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
I wouldn't define this this way. It's a crock for Mutant and Super to both be -10% yet have Mutant be much worse.

You should either make Supers -5% or Mutant -15%. Super may not justify the super-tech countermeasures since no universal countermeasures seem to exist in the Marvel universe. Likewise, universal inhibitor collars and even inhibitor spikes that work on basically all mutants do exist.

Psionic should either be a subset of Super/Mutant unless additional anti-stuff that works against them. Usually anyone that is a Super or Mutant psi suffers the limitations attached to the group but doesn't have any additional ones.

Mutant Biology should be worth the same as Mutant since most mutations (Warren's Wings, Beast's agility) are negated with anti-mutant countermeasures. Even if you're 'just' scanned, tracked, and hunted like it mutant I would offer -5%.
I made a Venn Diagram which gives the relationship between Super, Mutant, Psionic, and Mutant Psionic. According to that, the Mutant Psionic is the one affected by the most countermeasures, being bounded by Mutant and Psionic, which are both subsets of Super (there are psis who are not mutants, after all). However, according to Powers, page P25, the listed numbers are by the RAW; it's not the number of countermeasures in relation to the other power modifiers that determines the price, but the kinds of countermeasures. Mutant Biology is the odd man out; post-Reboot, Angel's wings and Beast's physiology cannot be negated; they're physical mutations on the normal human frame, and act more like wild advantages than anything else. Detection, at least from what I'm reading in Powers, does not affect the power modifier.

And universal power dampeners exist in the Marvel Universe; they're what the Vault uses to keep their non-mutant superhumans under control. (Forge's neutralizer gun was said to work on mutants and non-mutants alike; it was only fired once before it was destroyed at someone who only happened to be a mutant, and its effects proved temporary anyways.)

Interesting thought on Magical matching Super, although I wouldn't actualy call Dr. Strange's astral projection and hypnosis powers "super". Marvel magic is often difficult to pin down, true.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote