View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 06:32 AM   #16
phiwum

Default Re: Death Spell - so how's it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I think the Death Spell ST loss to the victor is fatigue. This spell states "the stronger one loses that much ST." Throughout ITL damage is described as either "damage" or "hits". Fatigue is describes as "loses" or "costs". This would also mean you do not fall down when taking 8 or more fatigue from the casting.

BTW, I like Skarg's take on this: still costs ST equal to the weaker's ST at the moment (not +1 to go -1). And dead is very dead (not -1).

BTW, there is a reason we never see any one use Death Spell over 40 years of game play. Compared to Lightning it is inferior in nearly every way: DX modifier to hit (M vs T), damage per ST cost, can not be used verses a stronger foe and very risky when ST is unknown. The only reason to even learn it is to cause a sneaky death but then you will need enough IQ to gesture quietly.
There is another reason to learn it. There is a certain gravity to proclaiming, "I cast the Death Spell." I'm pretty sure that when you say it, there's an echo in the room, but I dare not test that hypothesis.

Oh, and a minor reason for not using Lightning is the desire not to damage magical possessions. But both your scenario and this are pretty darned rare.

Last edited by phiwum; 03-17-2021 at 06:36 AM.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote