View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #23
Gumby Bush

Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

I find GURPS 4e to be a pretty solid and mature system with rather few gaps per se. At this point, a lot of what is left is smoothing edges and filling in more particular setting stuff.

So, top of my list:
  • How to Be a GURPS GM: New-Tech -- Advice for GM's creating new technologies from fiction or new inventions in the real world. Maybe also covering setting TL, dealing with TL transitions in game, and similar issues.
  • Power-Ups 10 and on -- discussions of Blessed, TbaM, WM, and similar amalgam-type advantages (and Disadvantages: Code of Honour, Divine Curse, etc.,) being top of my list there, but also perhaps something covering optional rules for Skills (e.g., the alternate Guns specialties from Pyramid, the house rule some use for de-specializing skills, and considerations of how various skills are split up, e.g., the Sleight of Hand, Pickpocket, and Filch trio or the Holdout/Smuggling distinction), and some for the more finicky or specialized advantages (Affliction, maybe Gadgeteer, although that's well covered in AtE2 and MH:PU1, Shapeshifting abilities, etc.).
  • Ultra-Tech: Near-Tech -- smoothing the edges between TL8 and TL9, incorporating some of the rules in various Pyramids (3/51 and 3/55) and expanding on how improvements from TL9 might be applied to TL8 gear. TL9 LBV?

As that probably makes obvious, my concerns with the system's integrity have to do with certain sorts of traits and the transition from TL8 to TL9 (or, more broadly, High-Tech to Ultra-Tech)

Lower on my list and other thoughts:
I think Girl Genius will be a nice piece to celebrate, but I am more looking forward to Realm Management.

I think vehicle concerns might be suitably well addressed by variations on the Action 6 model along with the pre-builds in the Vehicles series. I'd enjoy seeing something offering expanded baselines for those rules (grav jeep, clockwork car, etc.), which would probably be good for a Path of Cunning article. In the Vehicles series I'd like to see more TL8 offerings for aircraft and military vehicles. I continue to hope for the full, more realistic, Vehicles for 4e, but I understand why I may have a long wait for that.

Banestorm: The New Age -- covering what's happened in the Banestorm since we last heard -- might be a nice 35-year marker, but not really my cup of tea. DF Settings: Banestorm might also be a good product to consider, although most of that work is inessential: a lot is about how races might need to be shifted, what needs to be ignored, and a template for a Banestorm Victim. Again, I prefer to make my own settings, and usually not ones with Banestorm equivalents, so it's not up my alley.

Social Engineering: Stigmas and Regards and a book on alternate laws of nature (expanding on suggestions about "planes where space doesn't matter" and such when discussing astral planes and such) are a couple other spots I see opportunity--I'm kind of surprised the latter wasn't covered as much as it might've been in Powers: The Weird. Such a work might also cover how to alter things for "Comic Book Physics" and such.

I am also looking forward to Doug's Mission X.

I would also like to see further DF Denizens (likely) and After the End (maybe less likely) works. After the End 3: Hazards and Motives?