View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 11:31 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Rules Lawyers: The Most Important Rules in all GURPS

As long as a GM states that there are changes before character creation, I do not think that it a major problem. It is when a GM changes a rule in mid-game, especially when it is to favor a NPC or the nerf a PC, that I find annoying. To me, rules exist to protect the players from GM whims, so rules lawyers fulfill a vital function by reminding GMs that they are not following the default (or changed) rules that players built their characters around.

For example, if a GM says that I cannot purchase attributes above 14 before character creation, that is fine, they are telling me that is one of their rule changes. If they do not state that there is a limit beyond the RAW and, when I try to increase my DX to 15 five sessions down the line, that they will not allow it, that is when I leave the game. Changing the rules mid-game is insulting, especially since it changes the utility of PCs.

Of course, GMs can reserve certain options for NPCs and/or for later PC development. A secret magic campaign, where the PCs are initially unaware of magic, has the option of magic reserved for NPCs and/or for later PC development. Adding options later is fine, it is taking away options later that really causes trouble.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote