View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Expansions/Booster to get for basic fantasy set for noobs?

Conan: It plays very well on its own (and the Conan The Barbarian booster works well with either the original set or the Conan set). It's also designed to blend nicely with the original set, if you want to do it that way. I'd probably play it as a standalone first, just so you get the flavor of it.

Expansions: Munchkin 2 and 3 add new Classes and Races (Orc in M2, Bard and Gnome in M3) but not any new mechanics. That's probably where I would start. If you buy 3 before 2, you'll want to "tune" the set a bit to make sure the numbers of Class and Race cards match up, but that's the only thing you'd have to watch for.

Munchkin 4 and 5 add the Steed mechanic and a variety of new Hirelings, and M5 has the Ranger class. I'll skip over Munchkin 6 for a second. Munchkin 7 is probably not one you'll need unless you start using Munchkin 2-5 and maybe Conan as well; it's designed to make "blender" games more fun by adding a lot of new cards to use lots of Classes and Races. Munchkin 8 adds two new Races (Centaurs and Lizard Guys) and has more Steeds and Hirelings.

Munchkin 6 can be bought at any time -- it adds Dungeon cards, which change the rules of the game and don't require any of the previous expansions. You can also safely skip it, if you think your group wouldn't find that fun.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote