Thread: Flat Black
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
capnq

Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
And finally, I thought about the alleged Jesuit saying "Give me a boy until he is seven, and I will answer for the man", Dawkins's "V" meme, and the likelihood that psychology would make a lot of progress in the next five hundred years or so. If the people of the future understand how the environments they raise their children in contribute to the characters of those children, there will emerge an engineering discipline designing pedagogies for effect. There will also emerge in at least some circles a feeling of parental responsibility for the character and behaviour of children.
Does this parental sense of responsibilty extend to other people's children as well? Who does "quality control" on the pedagogies? I can imagine some real horrors resulting from "home schooling" programs designed to the customers' specs.

In the Cordwainer Smith story "Think Blue, Count Two"; one of the characters had a dirty secret: he was raised by his biological mother.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote