View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #65
Kraydak

Default Re: What level Physician skill should an MD have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I first presented symptoms of cholecystitis in 1987. Two different family doctors failed to diagnose it. I moved to a different city where at least three clinic physicians failed. Then I got a new GP who saw me annually for five years and failed. Then I went to an ER with an attack and they failed. My second visit in 2007 netted me the sonogram that finally revealed the problem.

I had a tax problem that took close to 10 filings to resolve, with the people at the government end consistently arriving at different, wrong conclusions and being unable to advise me on what forms to use....
Thank you for making my point for me. The people in question weren't incompetent. They complete nearly every task in front of them successfully. For your medical complaint, their final effective score would have been somewhere around the 7-8 range. That means that your complaint has a TDM about 8 points worse than already slightly tricky cases. While *most* patients are easy, doctors (and tax officials) face huge TDM penalties on a *routine basis*, and are expected to cope. Once you accept that even non-combat TDMs can easily be very negative, any desire to pin skills levels low should evaporate.

Remember, you *can* make the numbers work for professional=12 *only* if the actual profession level of competence varies only slightly (which won't be the case in, for example an IW campaign), and only if you ignore the amount of education that goes into a lot of jobs. On the other hand, you can also make the numbers work for much higher skill levels, in which case you recover GURPS-Universality, and CPs spent start to actually compare reasonably with the education investment.

Why would you possibly want to go with the former rather than the latter?
Kraydak is offline   Reply With Quote