View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #63
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: What level Physician skill should an MD have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

Agreed. If anything, 12 is sometimes generous ... ;-)
Yeah, I think so. Considering just a few examples from my life:

I first presented symptoms of cholecystitis in 1987. Two different family doctors failed to diagnose it. I moved to a different city where at least three clinic physicians failed. Then I got a new GP who saw me annually for five years and failed. Then I went to an ER with an attack and they failed. My second visit in 2007 netted me the sonogram that finally revealed the problem.

I had a tax problem that took close to 10 filings to resolve, with the people at the government end consistently arriving at different, wrong conclusions and being unable to advise me on what forms to use.

I've accidentally carried things through airports that . . . well, I probably should not have. Only one security agent ever caught that.

A man came to fix our kitchen sink recently. He was back twice because the first two times failed.

And so on. The first was potentially life-threatening (the eventual surgery lasted six times as long as planned, and I almost lost important body parts). The second was certainly livelihood-threatening (the specter of legal consequences was looming large). The third could've been life-threatening to others had I been a terrorist. The last could have destroyed a lot of my property. However, there were retries in some sense in each case.

Really, unless you disarm IEDs or reassemble people's skulls in the field after one goes off, I have doubts that skill 13+ is necessary.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote