View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #22
whswhs

Default Re: Questions about mean, antisocial Disadvantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
Real people with antisocial / psychopathic traits (which would be represented in GURPS by things like Callous and Sadism) often do seem to feel love towards some other people. In some cases, this seems to somewhat mitigate their behaviour, but they often seem rather oblivious to the fact that there is anything 'wrong' about their treatment of others, so they will often be quite unpleasant towards their loved ones and 'justify' it with beliefs like 'it isn't actually a big deal' or 'it's doing them a favour by toughening them up'. Even if they recognise that their behaviour is harmful, they may 'snap' under stress and act out against people they care for. In game terms, I think a bonus to self-control rolls is appropriate, but not simply ignoring the disadvantage.
I don't think that's quite consistent with the rules. In general, if you have a self-control number, you're not supposed to roll for self-control all the time, and in fact the GM is supposed to deny you experience for a session in which you roll inappropriately. The self-control number is for situations where there's a definite reason to resist---it's against your interests, it would sabotage your mission, it would hurt someone you care about---and ordinarily I would make it unmodified: you're already getting a benefit from the person being someone you care for, in that you're allowed to roll at all (and with no penalty in experience for doing so).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote