View Single Post
Old 02-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #21
Solomon Draak

Default Re: Questions about mean, antisocial Disadvantages

I think a Callous and Sadistic Bully with Bloodlust and Berserk mabye could be playable if his disadvantages has high self control values.

Basically, he would love to humiliate and torment more or less anyone, but it wouldn't do that without a clear opportunity, and even then he would be able to restrain himself most of the time.

Even when he fails to restrain himself, he would not be compelled to kill outside a fight. Actually, if he's one of those sadist who prefer psychological cruelty over physical abuse, he may even content himself with obnoxious bullying and demeaning behavior.

Berserk kicks in when a lethal fight begins or when seriously hurt, same for bloodlust - more or less.

So, that extremely vile person could be held more or less in check, as not he's not involved in fights or trusted with the care of defenseless people.

Obviously, if we also add Bad Temper to the mix, here we have a living ticking bomb.

- - -

Question: how much would be worth the Mitigator factor "only when he doesn't take his medications"?
I would say -50%. ( but only -20% if the medications have heavy and unpleasant side effects )

Quote:
Only the most dangerous emotionally unstable individuals will ever have any one of those at a "no self control roll" level to the point that ALL bar fights would end in murder, but "normal" levels of Bloodlust WILL almost inevitably result in a murder eventually. It's like the cop with anger issues, he may spend years being a bad aggressive cop but no more than that, until one day he goes too far and end up killing someone...
To behave that way, the individual should also have Bad Temper. I had the impression that Bad Temper is about getting angry for trivial things, Bloodlust means uncontrollable killer instinct in real, mortal combat.
I've read - I don't remember in what supplement - that many Vietnam veterans could be considered that way ( with Bloodlust ): people who behave normal , even polite, when in normal situation but with murderous fighting instincts that kicks in if involved in a fight.

Also in the description of the disadvantage, it says that a character with Bloodlust uses his fists in a bar brawl like everyone else... unlesss - I guess - a knife or broken bottle pops outs.

So, at extreme level:

* Uncontrollable Bad Temper: lashes out and insults ( but not necessarily attacks ) at the slightest provocation, all times.
* Uncontrollable Bloodlust: always tries to kill his opponents in serious fights, may ignore or just react verbally to non physical provocations.

*Uncontrollable Bad Temper + uncontrollable Bloodlust: murderous rage at the slightest provocation... but could still act polite in unprovoked and dealt with maximum caution.

- - -

I have the impression that Bad Temper and Bloodlust are somewhat passive disadvantages, which means that if unprovoked, the character is more or less in control.

Bully and Sadist are more active, the character actually wants to act on those impulses, given the opportunity. It may or may not be less provocable, however.

I think that spree killers and serial killers are more precisely described by uncontrollable Compulsive Behavior - murder.

Last edited by Solomon Draak; 02-07-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Solomon Draak is offline   Reply With Quote