View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Telekinesis

Quote:
What talents, other than those for weapons, might be exploited with Telekinesis?
I would say that most most talents/spells can be exploited in some way in conjunction with Telekinesis. Some would be more practical or effective than others. I know that this is a broad answer but the question was broad too.

Quote:
How often does Telekinesis see use in your games?
I haven't knowingly seen it in any of the Legacy games that I have played in but suspect that it has been present. It hasn't been in any of my games, yet. IN my classic TFT days, we did come across it with several NPCs. We had one PC fighter character that picked up an item that had Telekinesis. He used it to remotely open doors, chests, trip traps, etc.

Quote:
Can a wizard use Telekinesis while doing something else, like casting another spell?
I would say that normal magic rules apply. It is an action to cast Telekinesis spell. Once activated, other spells can be cast provided that the wizard spends the ST to maintain Telekinesis.

Quote:
How would you handle a wizard wanting to trip or tackle someone telekinetically?
I would say that much of that would depend upon the wizard's stats. A ST 8 wizard will have trouble tackling a ST 12 Reptile Man. Using Telekinesis to trip someone will depend upon the wizard's ability to move objects capable of tripping a character. If the wizard is too weak to move a heavy rock into one's path then he must choose something lighter for the deed. I suppose that a smaller character could push a bigger/stronger character to knock them down due to the bigger character not being prepared for such an attack. A savings roll of 3/DX or 4/DX could apply.

Quote:
If you are not using the RAW version, how have you tweaked the spell?
We stuck with RAW, I believe, along with our interpretations with respect to what the wizard/user could manipulate. We did omit the -4DX for using weapons for which the caster had the talent. The trickiness is how it is applied even if you are following RAW for the Telekinesis spell. There is plenty of room for variance in that respect.

Quote:
How has Telekinesis been imaginatively used in your games?
I don't know how "imaginative" pushing/tripping foes, opening doors/chests, using weapons is perceived to be. I can say that a pair of broad swords attacking the party with no visible foe was imaginative and a huge distraction to say the least.

Before the RULES police show up, I'll say this about the above Classic TFT scenario. It was an NPC Fighter Wizard with a ring that had both Telekinesis and Invisibility. It was a surprise for the PCs to be confronted with NPC fighters with one that had Sword and Two Weapons talents while being invisible and also telekinetically using two broad swords. Since none of the PCs had Mage Sight, they couldn't definitively locate the invisible foe and that one got away when the visible NPC fighters started dropping. No one got his cool ring either. They did get the two broad swords that dropped to the ground when the invisible NPC decided to run. I will take credit for creating this NPC.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 01-27-2023 at 08:16 AM.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote