View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Powers] Randomized Modular Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
All right, here's my thought. Dial H for Hero in it's original and most successful incarnation ran on ideas submitted by the readership who were prepared to do the work for no more acknowledgement than on panel credit and there was a reason for that. The GM is busy enough designing your opponents without having to constantly redesign your character as well. It means he'll have to spend his ideas for new characters on your character.

In order to make something approximating this idea work, you need the Ben 10 approach. A limited selection of options designed by the player but not total control over which of the options come into play.
To be fair, I was mentioning Dial H purely as an example of the concept, rather than a serious suggestion of it being applied to a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I could see something like this being linked to Danger Sense, Intuition or Serendipity. On a successful trigger of one of those abilities the GM would give the character an ability that could be applicable to whatever the stimulus is and it would be up to the character to figure out what to do with it.
I hadn't considered that, but it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
(BTW, another character from literature with a random power is Croyd Crenson (aka The Sleeper) from the Wild Cards books.)
It's been a rather long time since I read Wild Cards, so that's probably why I forgot about him (or never read the books he was in, if he wasn't in many).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote