View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #45
Blind Mapmaker

Default Re: A Bestiary for more than the DFRPG: Nordlond Enemies Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
The "there's no GURPS bestiary" complaint has always puzzled me.

If you want to be quick an dirty about it you just take the Classic bestiaries (Bestiary 150+; Classic: Fantasy Bestiary 250+; Classic: Space Bestiary 300+; Classic: Creatures of the Night 67) ignore PD and add +3 to Dodge.
<snip>
The problem here is ease of use, good quality illustrations, quick stats and variants on the same page together with descriptions and hints on how to use them in an encounter.

Don't get me wrong. I think GURPS Animalia is a great resource for the real-world animals and the none of the 4th Edition creature collections are bad. Stilln sometimes you want a big book (or pdf) you can just reach at and find the monster you want, not to run around with your desktop search to look through your 400+ files GURPS folder for whichever version of griffin you remember reading about five years ago.

Edit: Mostly ninja-ed by Polkageist. Couldn't agree more.

What we have now is just too many bits & pieces that are all above average, but kind of disjointed. As of now, I'm already using the bestiary in Douglas Cole's Hall of Judgment more than I ever thought I would, but that's just 33 pages of monsters and foes. I'd dearly love to have a book four times that size.

Last edited by Blind Mapmaker; 11-06-2021 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Ninja
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote