View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #14
Donny Brook

Default Re: can you drop a benefit of an Ally to drop a drawback of a Dependent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think it was already possible to make Allies/Sig Gear perks in Basic if designed properly?
No. Modifiers on an Advantage can reduce the cost of the trait to [1], but Perks cannot have Modifiers.

Quote:
"converts Allies from a social trait to a supernatural ability" sounds like it might not be social anymore, requiring it to be either physical or mental
GMs can treat traits in whatever way suits them, but RAW does not require it.

Quote:
If that were the case I don't think you'd even need to cast the spell? The points would guarantee allies come hang out with you even if you can't engineer the circumstances.
No. Points pay for a trait to operate as described, which in the case of spells involves a roll.

Quote:
There seems like a functional difference between "I'm a mage who knows Zombie 30 but never encountered a corpse so I have no minion helpers right now" and "I'm a mage who knows Zombie 15 and encountered 100 corpses so I have 100 minion helpers right now" though.
Yes, they are different cases. What of it?

Quote:
The "payment" for an ally seems moreso the resources traded in actually using the spell/skill like materials (corpse, maybe Magic Ingredients if using that optional rule) and energy (whether it comes from you, the ether or elsewhere) and casting time.
The payment for an Ally is CP. The payment for the ability to cast spells according to their descriptions is CP.

Quote:
...in a sense people who fear random murderers have some kind of sub-perk level of almost-acquainstanceship and mutual service toward one another, that's got to be how supporting law and order w/ taxes works.
Your analysis is inverted. Character rules model people, people don't model rules.

Quote:
Zombie already in a sense seems nearly like a free Ally without plot protection.
You've noted a superficial similarity that does not lead to the equivalence you seek to draw. Game-wise, creating zombies is no more 'Ally-like' than buying a pet, hiring a detective, or having guards due to paying Cost of Living.

You appear to be attempting to operationalize mere similarities between things while ignoring that they are fundamentally incommensurable.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote