View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #1
Prince Charon

Default [Powers] Randomized Modular Abilities

Occasionally in fiction you'll see a character who controls when they switch powers (or temporarily gain powers), but has no apparent control over what power or powers they get. The classic example from DC comics is Robby Reed, and other users of the H-Dial, but I'm sure I've seen some non-Gadget-based versions as well - one possible example is Schmendrick the Magician, from The Last Unicorn (based on the novel of the same name), who seems to work best when he lets the magic do as it will; this may be something more like the Whimsy spell from S. John Ross, though.

The simplest way to cover most of these options, IMHO, is Cosmic Modular Abilities with a 'Randomize' limitation, though I'm really not sure how much of a limitation it should be (the old Whimsy as Powers thread had suggestions, but didn't come to a conclusion, and was pretty specific to the Whimsy spell). My current guess is below, but suggestions would be welcome:

'Randomize, -40%
You control when your Modular Abilities activate (switch abilities, or grant abilities if the power is normally dormant), and what the abilities do when you get them, but what abilities you actually get will be determined by the GM, standing in for chance, the gods, or some other entity. If you pull your abilities from a limited list, the dice may usually make that decision, instead. If you also don't control what the abilities do when activated (like poor Schmendrick, and other Whimsy spell users), that's probably a specific variant on the Uncontrollable limitation, and if you don't control this power at all, add Unconscious Only.'

I vaguely recall a mod saying that if you aren't sure how big a limitation should be, try -40%, so that's what it is at the moment. Not sure how well that works, though.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote