View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 11:27 PM   #14
Infornific

Default Re: TFT Life History Character Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I agree that a majority of Wizards come through the Wizard Schools or apprentice under a Guild Wizard.
They would require the Literacy and the Aid spell.

However, there also is the path less taken by Magic Users.
  • This would involve the character who has no-one nearby who can train him and thus reads books and trains himself.
  • There could also be the 'broken soul' who is born a Wizard, but has no idea that there is magic or that he has a broken soul.
These characters either stumble onto proto-magic or are discovered by wizards. They would be late bloomers to magic, but might end up in a Wizard School or as an apprentice.

These Broken Souls might not know how to read (except the book learned ones) and would definitely not know Aid (yet).
Interesting thoughts. I was trying to stick to the rules as written, so a character has to choose between Wizard & Hero which affects Talents which affects the paths that can be taken. I read the distinction between Hero & Wizard to mean that being a Wizard is a matter of intense study, not necessarily an innate gift. It's worth noting that technically a Wizard doesn't have to take Aid or Literacy (maybe add Staff) - I just assumed that it would make sense for anyone trained as a Wizard to know these things.

The idea of a later path is interesting but you'd need to deal with the increased Talent cost. Possibly some kind of payback rule - eg, the character has to retroactively pay the extra price for non-wizard Talents and thus learn spells at a slower pace.

Alternately, you could come up with an alternative where in return for being restricted to certain paths for learning spells, starting would be wizards could get Talents (prior to Wizard training) at no extra cost. Or the character who enters without the Apprentice step can enter with previous Talents at Hero price but limited in spell choice.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote