View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
Plane

Default not sure I understand difference between Rapier Wit w/ Words of Power vs Comic

B79's Rapier Wit got expanded with P70's "Words of Power". Possibly not the most ideal name since this is also a term used in 3e's Cabal and 4E's thaumatology... but anyway, I'm looking at what it does.
1) ignores Unfazeable (normally makes immune to influence skills, including Public Speaking, which Rapier Wit normally uses)

2) changes Public Speaking vs. Will to simply Will vs. Will

3) does not require you to speak a language the target understands

4) no -2 penalty to affect those with Clueless and No Sense of Humor
It then goes on to mention taking a +300% Cosmic enhancement in ADDITION to this (total of +400%) you can "instantly stun any mortal!"

I'm not sure what this is meant to refer to though. All I can figure is that anyone w/ Unfazeable (Cosmic +50%) would be immune to Words of Power, so the +300% is buying Irresistible Attack to work against Cosmic Unfazeability?

I'm wondering if I'm missing any other utility to this +300% though, since WOP alone already bypasses a language barrier.

Given that you don't even roll against public speaking anymore, it almost seems conceivable you could use non-audio forms of expressing words (sign language, sending a rude text) to stun foes?

One of the bigger hints is on page 20 of GURPS Powers: "his Rapier Wit and Terror rely on subtle vibrations that radio can’t transmit" implies if you don't take the "Sound" Power limitations that you could normally use Rapier Wit via radio to attack foes from far away using that to amplify your normal speaking distance.

Presumably deaf people would be immune to spoken/radioed word but you could still affect them via the written word or via telepathic speech?

This makes me wonder, if you don't take Words of Power, and you want to stun deaf people w/ Rapier Wit, if you could apply Public Speaking roles to "I make my insults appear as letters written in the air" so that instead of covering their ears to avoid getting Rapier-stunned they need to cover their eyes to protected against Rapiering?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote