View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #12
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaldon View Post
I can't seem to get this to work.
I had to manually set up GCA 5 Document folders to get it to run, but I still can't get libraries or books to work and I can not save any characters.
Did you install "for everyone" or "just for me"? Did you use the default suggested installation folder or did you change it, and if you changed it, what to?

What happened (error message, etc.) to make you create the Document folders?

When GCA starts, it prints a bunch of stuff to the log.

What folders does it say you're using when it starts up?

Code:
Program Folder = C:\Program Files (x86)\GURPS Character Assistant 5\
System Data Folder = C:\ProgramData\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 5\
App Data Folder = C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 5\
My Documents Folder = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\
Do those folders match places on your system? (The 'USERNAME' in my examples should be your Windows username, instead, or at least whatever part of it that Windows uses for user folders.)

What user bins does it say you're using when it starts up?

Code:
User Plugin Bin = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\plugins\
User Library Bin = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\libraries\
User Book Bin = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\books\
User Character Bin = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\characters\
User Image Bin = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\images\
User PDF Bin = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Gaming\Gaming Resources & Books\GURPS 4th Ed. Books\
Do those folders exist? Are they the ones you created? (Again, the 'USERNAME' bit should be your Windows 10 user name, instead.)

What does the log say is your default library?

Code:
Default Library = C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 5\libraries\default.gds
Does that file exist? Does the folder even exist for it to be in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaldon View Post
I still can't get libraries or books to work and I can not save any characters.
I don't know what this means, because it doesn't tell me what problem you're actually having. What doesn't work? What happens when you try to open the Manage Your Library window? What happens when you click on the New button for a new library (first button to the right of the word Library)?

After you name the library and click OK, what happens?

What happens when you try to save a character? Does the Save As dialog appear? What happens when you click Save in that dialog?

Without any real details, what it sounds like to me is that you somehow managed to install GCA on a completely locked down computer where you have no permission to actually read or write files, and as a result there's nothing there for GCA to read from or save to.