View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #14
Anders

Default Re: Reducing the number of wepon skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I already have a problem with weapon skills being very cheap to raise as opposed to DX, where a fighter with DX 10 and Broadsword-25 can easily defeat almost any opponent, despite spending "only" 60 points for the privilege of being the greatest. Capping points allowed in one skill or requiring UB above a certain level can fix this, and there are other fixes as well, but in my mind making a more general skill for the same cost exacerbates this issue. Part of the problem might come from the fact that skill gives you better attacks, better defenses, and even the potential to do more damage (by targeting locations), so there's really a lot in that one package of melee weapon skill. Further separating these components would be a more radical change..
I mean, if you want to separate the components - feel free. An old Swedish RPG had separate skills for attacking and parrying, to reflect whether your style was offensive or defensive. It was an interesting idea.

And I would not allow a person to buy up a skill to DX+15, unless I was running an over-the-top campaign.