View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #117
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: GRUMEC and the Invisible Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
It is believed, however, that there is a secret unit of the Navy that analyzes evidence from such encounters while aboard floating laboratories in the waters where they were taken, using specially designed simple and robust devices better able to survive whatever seems to interfere with modern electronics. What they have found, however, seems to be still classified, perhaps because none of their findings are replicable in other laboratories, making peer review impossible.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
This suggest several questions.

1) What kind of weapons, sensors and other devices might the Brazilian Navy mount on its vessels to defend from aquatic threats from below?

2) How do you defend submarines from Deep Ones?

3) What kind of specialized weaponry might GRUMEC have in this setting that they don't in reality, for underwater encounters with hostile humanoids? If the Brazilian Navy needed underwater weapons, would they buy H&K P11, one of the Russian designs like the APS (if they are even available for export), the Norwegian MEA supercavitating ammo offered in several common calibers or would they develop something of their own?
1) Not my area of expertise, so its hard to give suggestions here, but I think they would put all possible sensors just to be safe, thermal, radioactive, motion, etc. Also, would be interesting to leave buoys with sensors spread around the sea to give early warning on threats.

2) If overwhelming firepower is not enough defense, then forewarning and speed will be the best defense. They could also make changes into the subs to fire torpedos from the back so they can fight while they retreat

3) I think due to the small scale in which they would be employed, in house development + cavitating ammo would be the best bet. If not, then probably H&K. We do seem to not use/buy russian gear even when its the best option, so I think that would probably be off the table.
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote