View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #34
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Caribbean by Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I'd suggest you look at the history of US Coast Guard cutters. They have much larger crews, although in much less comfortable accommodation, and always carry smaller boats.
Yes, you are right.

Wikipedia has let me down badly by not having pages for any of the cutter designs for eras I want, forcing me to possibly do real research. I shudder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
You'll want diesel engines, rather than steam.
Yes, I believe I will. That is, my intuitive sense of how things ought to be seems to demand that the engine room and the engineers who frequent it ought to smell of diesel, as my stepfather always does.

On the other hand, I was able to find some sources on the performance envelop of 1960s era yachts and the absolute fastest were using some kind of gas turbines. Possibly, of course, that has drawbacks for cruising over many hours or days.

In any case, I found yachts build in the early 1960s that use diesel engines and reach speeds I had considered optimistic for luxury yachts this size in the modern day. Now I just need to find out what's a plausible relationship between top speed and cruising speed.