View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
Varyon

Default Re: Ki Slash; or, ranged sword strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I own it, but overall, I just don't find it particularly exciting. I can't point at anything specific, only that I bought it, skimmed it, and forgot I even had it.
I designed an alternative to imbuements that takes some ideas from Godlike Extra Effort to replace the imbuement skills with Techniques of the original ability. That does require 1 FP per use, but I felt it wouldn't be terrible to allow for avoiding this by taking twice the penalty. For using a sword to generate a ki slash, you'd use the Ranged version of Distant Strike; if using 0 FP, this would default to Broadsword -20 (so you'll want to buy it up to some degree), giving the character a Blockable Acc 3 ranged attack with Range (1/2D and Max) equal to ST and damage the same as the weapon's normal attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Edit: I already noted "it's not quite rules as intended", but let me clarify: This is custom. I'm asking a balance question on a custom rules idea.
It looks like you want to apply an Enhancement on a skill, which I'd recommend against. In addition to just being an odd construct, you also run into the issue that things like increased DX, Talents, etc make the ability cheaper.