View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: One-Man Armies from Supers vs. Mob Attacks from Zombies vs. other solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
base hit for 1 is included.

the binomial (true method) gives an average of 35.3 hits when 37 opponents with skill 15 attack.

your method gives an average of 32.4 hits, slightly less, because skill is high.

the binomial (true method) gives an average of 6.00 hits when 37 opponents with skill 7 attack.

your method gives an average of 6.74 hits, slightly more, because skill is low.
Oh, okay! That makes sense. I misunderstood what you meant!

Quote:
I just realized my method and yours are slightly different. You're looking up the recoil from a table, and I'm just dividing 8 by the number of attacks. The division method is a fair deal more accurate away from powers of 2.
Wow! Okay! That makes a ton of sense with dividing the number of attacks by eight. I was halving recoil as the number of enemies doubled, which ends up giving the same numbers anyway, but—you're absolutely right!—dividing by eight makes that so much easier for numbers that aren't powers of 2, which is exactly what you said, but I hadn't made that connection. So, six attacks would have a recoil of 1.33 (or 4/3, of course, which would be easier for me to just multiply the margin of success by 3/4 instead of dividing by 1.33). Wow. Yep. That's awesome.

Quote:
I really like the method though! its slick and it mostly just works! Do you mind if I stick it up on my blog? how do you want me to credit you?
You are more than welcome to stick it up on your blog, and please feel free to polish it as well. Your insight about dividing by eight was very helpful, and, if there's a simpler way to calculate the bonus for the lower numbers before it just becomes +4 forever, I'd love to know.

As for crediting me, you can credit me by Raekai and/or my name Greyson Yandt, and, if you wouldn't my linking my name to my blog, I would really appreciate it. (And I appreciate you offering to credit me, too!) I was planning on throwing up a post about this on my blog, and I would happily link to yours in return! Plus, that saves me some of the effort of actually writing this up myself...
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote