View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #25
Rupert

Default Re: Weighty problem when attempting to reproduce Blaster Cannon canon; Pyramid #3/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, Pyramid 3-37 actually tells you that the TL11 blaster has twice the efficiency of the TL 10 blaster. It's right in the shots table.
The number of shots goes up by a factor of four, but that doesn't tell us whether that's more power in the cell, a more efficient gun, or both.

UT sort of does - we know that power cells make more 'bang' when of higher TL, and we know that several higher TL energy weapons get more extra output power than can be accounted for by the more powerful cells.

Quote:
It doesn't cover having half the damage at the same weight. But that would be quite easy to patch - my preferred way to put it would be that S in the empty weight calculation is 2 for 'early' weapons like TL10 blasters and maybe TL9 lasers.

If Phantasm's calculation that the thing generates the TL 10 blaster but not the TL 11 blaster is right, that won't work for lining up UT and Blaster Design though. I'll look at the numbers myself, but not tonight.
It does generate TL10 blaster cannons (and TL11 small arms). That says to me that at +1TL, they should be half the weight per unit of damage.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote