View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #73
nik1979

Default Re: Role of archers in low-tech parties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
I would be curious to see what correlation there is between GMs who are setting encounters at ranges which are too close to make archery useful and GMs who use the tactical combat regularly. I suspect if you have a vinyl hex mat that is, say fifty hexes across, most encounters will take place at a range of less than fifty yards.
I'm surprised why not just scale the hexes depending on encounter range. If it is 50 hexes across, scaling 1:4 and 5-6 seconds per turn is possible until some enough characters move into melee to make the shift to 1:1 and sec by sec turns viable.
edit:>> At 100-200yrds Vision Checks should be made to track movement in light forests. At 50 to 100 at medium density forests. Closely packed heavy forests thick with bushes and low branches (un-thinned by fires) will be 30 to 70 yrds Vision checks.

Maybe someone needs to put out a "pre-scaled" 6 second combat turn system extrapolating on the basic system. the Second by Second rule is only useful in duels and skirmishes of small nos.

Larger skirmishes (for me more than 7-10 individual units to coordinate) tends to need time scaling. There is a terrible inefficiency when there are long moments of non-action or trivial-actions going back while going through initiative rounds.

>> Edit:
Useful GM notes: (should take 2 mins for the GM to arbitrarily fill out).
Hex-Scale:
Time-Scale:
Visibility Notes:
Movement modified by Terrain (x scaled time)
- DX TDM Terrain
- Hustling
- Running
Survival notes: (crap on a roll of margin of failure X)
- Natural Hazards
- Animal Hazards
Navigation notes: (crap on a roll of margin of failure X)
- Area Knowledge
- Path-finding
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 12-02-2009 at 11:36 PM.
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote