Thread: Feats!
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #26
RobW

Default Re: Feats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
My list of advanced combat talents was vaguely like this. The idea was that each did something different, and something easy to visualise, that could be a defining capability of a character. So that you could say, "My character is a dragon slayer, he's better at killing giant monsters than people his own size," and the system would provide a talent to make him like that.

Giant Slayer (IQ 10, cost 2). Attacks against a figure of 3 hexes or more receive +1 DX and +1 die damage. Roll one less die when trying to shift away from being overrun by a multi-hex figure or when trying to roll out from under such a figure. Trample attacks roll one more die when trying to hit them.

[other interesting talents omitted....]
This is really nice! In two ways, at least. First I like the "Giant Slayer" talent. I can see this would make the character unique, fun, and give them a niche without being game-breaking (I might reduce the extra damage).

But second, in the same way that a wizard can (eventually) research new spells, I like the idea you lay out at the beginning. A fighter could also develop new and unique talents that aren't on "the list". Especially if part of their character conception. This could be a collaborative effort of player and GM.

The character wouldn't have to be self-taught, a unique talent could be learned from a unique and special teacher. Locating the master of a sword-fighting technique, a famed giant slayer, a guru who can teach a talent version of eyes-behind, these would make good backstories or adventures in themselves.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote