View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
MWnRNC

Default Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Cyberpunk 2020 was already TL9, they had fusion power and extensive space travel, so Cyberpunk 2077 is likely TL10 since I believe that it is the same setting, just +57 years.
I think you could make a compelling case for TL9 or TL10. Cyberpunk 2020 seems almost like TL8+1 nowadays. I think if it were solidly TL10, there'd be self-driving cars and far fewer people using TL8-style handguns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
That was probably in a Pyramid article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Absolutely RAW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
UT electromagnetic weapons can explicitly use the same reduced/boosted velocity options as liquid propellant (see UT141 and UT139).
Definitely RAW, as Varyon cited.

Quote:
Now, 2077 EM weapons may well use more traditional calibers and propel them at more traditional velocities.
Yes, this is why I was thinking ETC might be a better match to the actual behavior of the weapons in games, despite the lore. It would keep damage and shots reasonable and not require TL10.

Quote:
The "charge up" effect in 2077 probably isn't necessary, but likely makes for a fun visual effect.
Weapon charge up times tend to feel video gamey, I think. It's probably more important that each weapon "feel" different in that medium than it is in a tabletop game. That said, GURB had an interesting post on using charge up times for laser design:
https://gurb3d6.blogspot.com/2017/05...hargin-ma.html

Quote:
by RAW, you basically just designate a target with Aim, the shoot and let the projectile/Advantage's skill take over).
I think this is more in keeping with the setting, actually. The smart gun descriptions imply that a novice shooter can pick one up and achieve deadly results. Some of that is obviously advertising and hyperbole, but the idea of relying on the weapon's automated skill is a good one, I think.
MWnRNC is offline   Reply With Quote